R3P2 - 4-7-8 starting weight for R3 is 158.2

Monday, February 4, 2008

VLCD #18 R2P2 - Where does the will power come from?

(Starting weight first round: 198 10-5-7)
(R1P2 LIW 160.4 12-18-07 )
R2P2 Starting weight 167.8
Weight lost this round 12.8 lbs.
Yesterday's weight 155.4
Today's weight 155.0
Loss of .4 lbs

I'm still on a losing streak! I'm really happy with how this round is going. I don't want to jinx myself by saying it out loud (or on the page) but with the exception of one day that I had a small gain, I've lost every single day this round! My last round was mostly stairstepping. two or three days at the same weight and then down a pound. So I must say that it's a lot more fun to see the consistent losses even when they are just .4 at a time.
I'm having a little more trouble with trying to explain the ability to stick with the protocol and how to have the will power to resist cravings. And how do you say to someone, yes it's only 3 weeks that you have to remain on this strict eating plan, but then again, there are another 3 weeks that you still can't have the things you really love the most? I've explained that the HCG will actually help you feel not hungry, and that it will reduce most cravings significantly. I've pointed out that you're still eating a very balanced food plan even though it is very small quantities and that you will usually feel quite satisfied if not actually "full". But what about those people that just equate the carbs and the sugars with their entire social and activity outlet and have a hard time believing that they can get by without occasional indulgences? I know that these things were issues for lots of people who have successfully managed the protocol and I know that this support group has provided a lot of the emotional and practial support that is neccessary to succeed, but I guess I just don't know how to tell someone to just go for it and make it work for you. I can do it for me, and I don't think I have any superhuman willpower by any means, but how can I assure someone that they will be successfull too? I want to say that you just have to make the decision to do it and then just tell yourself every day when you wake up and see that loss on the scale, that all you have to do to see that same thing tomorrow, is to stick to it one more day. Just turn away from the things that are tempting to you. Don't look at them if they're calling your name. Turn to the things that you ARE allowed to have and learn to enjoy them and look forward to them. Use the recipes on Renee's recipe blog. Find the things that fill you up and suit your taste buds. Read other people's blogs to get new ideas for foods to try. Make the protocol your LIFE for a while. And yes, I'm sure that doesn't sound very appealing to someone who just wants to give it a try for a short while, but you kind of do need to immerse yourself in the protocol for a while so that it starts to feel kind of natural to you and that you don't feel like you're struggling against it anymore. And the biggest reason to work so hard at it right at first is so that you can start seeing the daily reward that comes to you when you step on that scale every morning and see it going down every single day. And when that starts to happen, you don't really need to work at it that hard any more because you will be so thrilled and happy with that daily step down on the scale that you just get into what Biz calls the "Zone" and you just go with the flow.
But then, what happens after the round is over? This is the most frightening time for so many people who are going through the losing part of the protocol. The fear of not maintaining or not knowing how to eat correctly. And after 3 weeks (or more) of very strict dieting, how do you keep from completely blowing it and going hog wild in the opposite direction? And what about those who just want to go back to what they did before? Going out to dinner and having pasta and a glass of wine? And you can't do it for another 3 weeks! So no, it isn't really just a 3 week diet. It's 3 weeks and then another 3 weeks of stabilization and then another 3 weeks of maintenance. So will you have wasted the first 3 weeks and gain back all the weight you lost if you stray during the stabilization period? Well that depends on whether you can stray for a day or so and then go back to the program because people who have been on Phase 3 have experienced over and over again that straying a little doesn't necessarily hurt them that much, but continuing to stray once you start seeing some gains will! And each person will have things that will make them gain, and also things that they can tolerate very well. Most people can tolerate alcohol to a certain extent. Some people can tolerate a little bread. But even those who cheat and gain, are able to get right back down to where they need to be by doing a steak day or an egg day as soon as they see a gain. And it also seems easier to diet back down to your LIW after the protocol. And it seems to be harder to put the weight back on than it was before doing the protocol.
So I apologize if this post seems a little rambling, but I think I'm asking for some help from all of the people who may pass by and read this...
Help me out here and give some advice to those who are unsure or struggling or just need reassurance... Anyone who posts a comment today, just give them an example of how the diet may have changed your ability to lose or gain weight during the P3 or even P4 phases? And any other suggestions for keeping the motivation to stick with it?
Thanks!

---------------------------------------

Mary, So you're saying I didn't cheat! Woo Hoo I'll take it!

Regina, yes the citrus is a plus in our climate. And I have actually gone from HATING grapefruit before the protocol to LIKING it now! So that's a plus! And the food was EVERYWHERE! It looked delicious but I kept telling myself that I can have it next time, just NOT today!

Biz, I think you must be right because I lost in spite of it! I don't think I'll risk it every day though!

Thanks Lili, I surely do love the fruit right off the tree...

Jennifer, I'm waiting one more day to post the recipe. After my post today I just thought it might not be appropriate. But tomorrow I'll talk about P3 and the GREAT things we can eat!

6 comments:

maryg911 said...

Wow, such an insightful, informative post there missy!!

Not sure what advice I can offer, I just know that when I crave something or there's temptation around (donuts), I do my "tapping" and that seems to help.

Anonymous said...

If the person is really ready to commit to the protocol, they will. I've started a few friends on HCG, and they've been thrilled and successful. I've also told a few other friends about it, gave them research, and in the end they said that although it looked great, they just were not READY to give up their emotional eating. Which is very valid, and very honest on their part. Emotional eating can't be discounted, and lots of times has to be addressed first (and definitely during) doing Hcg. It's hard for some to believe that the urge to eat emotionally goes away once you see how quickly you are losing weight -- now that's addictive.

And, as far as P3, on my last (second) round of P2 I had to get my body out of ketosis immediately, for health reasons. So, I went right from P2 to P4. I was conscious of making good food choices, not eating junk, and keeping more portions modest, but I went right for the carbs -- doctor's orders. And my weight remained stable. Unbelievable. This is probably not the norm, and probably not the example you want to tell a newbie, but this HCG is amazing stuff -- it really has rest my metabolism.

I think Biz's point is if someone wants to start, tell them "do it for just 3 weeks" because once they see how successful and easy it is, they will be willing to do the necesssary P3 to not uundo all the good they have done. That's just my take.

You Skinny Minnie, you!

BizBuzz said...

WOW! That was a mouthful. And I have to say that I am ecstatic that Lili posted before me, because as usual, she has said it all.

Coming from a family of addiction and going thru all that I went thru to help them by attending meetings, I have discovered that you truly have to hit that special place where you are in a do or die situation. You either are ready to give up everything needed to make this a reality, or your not. It's plain and simple. Do or not do, there is no try - Yoda.

What I am hoping for, the 3 week thing, is to prove that they can survive, they will see grand results and they will be motivated to stay on. Nothing in their lives will work as fast. And even if all you lose is 25 lbs in one three week program, how long will it take for them to lose 25 lbs on any other program? Longer than 9 weeks I can tell you that much. And that is being strict EVERY SINGLE DAY AND EXERCISING LIKE A MAD PERSON.

So even if you bump the numbers to 9 weeks. A 9 week diet to lose 20 - 25 lbs? AND 3 of those weeks your eating what you want? Um girl, STILL! SIGN ME UP!

I hope that helps, and once again, MONDO GOOD POST!

Wendy said...

Becca... Thank you for writing this post. This is EXACTLY what I needed to hear today. Why is it that when you are questioning your motives in life and having difficulty, someone just knows the right things you need to hear? THANK YOU AGAIN!!

You are doing so awesome!! Losses everyday sure do put a bounce in your step!!

beachbrights said...

Great post, Girl! You said it all and Biz & Lili answered your question beautifully!

Great job on the losses...You're a LOSER, Ha!

Ed & Jennifer said...

Becca, wow! The trick is getting them excited about "all" the P3 foods they will get to eat! On my first round I swear the only thing that kept me going was knowing I would be able to have cheese and eggs once starting P3! Once the body is detoxed from all the candida (which this protocol does) carb cravings change, it just takes time!

Food is an addiction and many people eat the way they do out of habit. All I know is since this protocol IS NOT easy it makes us want you keep the weight off because we worked so hard to get it off! It's a journey, not just another diet! Lili said it best, you have to be ready and if you are this will be the best thing you have ever done for yourself...waaaaay better than any food!

LOL about not posting the recipe, good thinkin!