R3P2 - 4-7-8 starting weight for R3 is 158.2

Thursday, May 8, 2008

R3P2 VLCD Break Day #2 - Food Obsession - A necessary evil?

R3 P2 Starting weight on 4-7-8 158.2
Yesterday's weight 147.0
Today’s weight 148.4
Overnight Gain of 1.4 lbs
LIW for Break: 147.8 (5-4-8)
.6 lbs OVER LIW

Yesterday’s menu:
Breakfast: Two scrambled eggs with sautéed onions and 1 oz of cheddar cheese. 2 slices of watermelon, 1 slice of cantaloupe.
Snack: 1 oz almonds
Lunch: Huge mixed veggie salad w/grilled chicken and creamy lime vinaigrette. ½ slice of crusty bread w/ butter.
Snack: 1 oz almonds
Dinner: Large Taco salad w/ cheese! (No tortilla)

Snack: Orange Creamsicle pop. (no sugar added)

148.4 is up .6 from LIW. 1.4 overnight gain. Not terrible, but more of a bounce than I’d like to see. I ate a lot yesterday. I ate more than what I was actually hungry for, partly because I could, and partly because I had devised a menu beforehand and was trying to stick to it. And that ended up being much more food than I actually wanted to eat. So today I’m going to try to get a few extra calories in by finding higher calorie foods and just not eat quite as much. I really felt too full a couple of times yesterday. Or maybe I'll just try eating when I'm hungry and just what sounds really good! Oh what a concept! LOL!

It’s funny when we stop and think about how much of our blogs are about food. That’s only natural because we are, after all, trying to lose weight and food is the main way to make that happen, but sometimes I just feel that food is what it’s ALL about right now. When instead, my goal should be to move away from obsessing so much about food. So I have to stop and remind myself that this is just a temporary thing, this food obsession. It’s a necessity right now because I have to get to a certain goal and this is not only the path to that goal, but it’s the learning process I have to go through to be able to deal with these issues once my weight loss goal is achieved. This is the education I’m giving myself so that I don’t HAVE to obsess about it in the future. This will become second nature to me so that all my choices are based in what I am learning now. And it’s really not so much learning which foods are good and which are bad, because after years of dieting and reading all kinds of books about nutrition and exercise, I already KNOW that! But it’s more about learning how my body responds to what I put into it. And maybe it’s also trusting that what I’ve learned in the past is really going to work for me. And it’s going to work for me now even though it may not have always worked in the past. And the reason it’s going to work for me now, is that I’ve found this wonderful protocol and I’ve followed it through to completion and now that I am nearing the end of this process, I’m finding that this protocol has changed me mentally as well as physically. It has not only helped me to rid my body of all that unhealthy fat but has healed the part of my brain that controls the body’s metabolism and tells it how to store fat. So I can see that this food obsession will be around for a while longer. I will have to keep it in the forefront of my mind during the last few weeks of the P2 part of the protocol and then for another 3 weeks of the stabilization part of the plan. Then yet another 3 weeks while I test my body’s tolerance for the starches and sugars that it has been shielded from for all this time. But once I’m past the next couple of months, I will begin to loosen the grip that food has held me in for so long. I will take the lessons learned and put them in the background, constantly monitoring but no longer in my face. I will trust my body to do what it has re-learned how to do and my body will trust me to NOT put it in danger of ever becoming obese again…

------------------------

Marygirl! Yes, I'm enjoying the freedom and the extra food options. But I will be ready to go back and finish this thing by Monday!

Biz, She had her LIW yesterday so it looks like she's done... I'll mention bootcamp to her again. Maybe I better play the Mommy card and TELL her to do the bootcamp! LOL!

Jan, Ohhh, that stinks having to do a steak day that soon! I'm wondering if it's just a little bounce! And have you ever tried an egg day instead of a steak day? It's worked for me in the past...

Pax, I went to your blog and left you a comment explaining how to add your ticker! Welcome to Blogburg which is a community inside of Protocoland...

3 comments:

BizBuzz said...

Totally excellent post Becca, thanks girlfriend! My only advice to you? With planned interruptions, Dr S really only wanted you to stick to around 800 cals, so maybe your body was trying to tell you something maybe? If your FULL, don't EAT! LOL - what a concept! Try that today and see what happens???

Thanks for changing my link on your blog, you are so on top of things!

applebottomblues said...

What a great post! And here I am obsessing over food for 2 people! I too will be glad when that part is over. At least during your break, try not to obsess over the quantity of food. Trust your body, and just eat when your hungry. Eat slowly, and stop when your full. I learned to do that on my last break and that's when my weight actually regulated. I know you're just taking a short break, but I hope that helps.

Liz said...

Yes! Obsessing about food IS what we tend to do when we are focusing on losing it for sure! But things are coming to a close for you my friend, and I do believe you are very much on the right track. I think that eating when you are hungry and stopping when you feel satisfied is the key, and not so much worrying about what your menu is on any given day. You are right! You DO KNOW what things to eat to make healthy choices. I have been thinking about that myself, because all through P3 I was doing great and even a few pounds under LIW, and then this last week in Las Vegas, where indulgence abounds EVERYWHERE.... it seems I lost track of that a bit and ate more than I should have at times and drank more than I would normally. So finding that balance is truly the key. You are doing great though Becca, and your balance will come!